BBB tips to avoid a stressful Black Fridayweekend
AUSTIN, Texas — BlackFriday is considered one of the biggest shopping weekendsof the year. Millions of shoppers, having researched for weeks, visit theirfavorite retailers and wait in line for hours to score big and save money ontheir holiday wish list items.
According to the NationalRetail Federation, 147 million people plan to shop BlackFriday weekend. Additionally, in asurvey conducted for NRF by BIGinsight, 70.4 percent of adults said they planto spend more, or at least the same, as they spent last year on holidayshopping.
BetterBusiness Bureau has these tips to help consumers savetime, stress and money on this busy shopping weekend:
- Plan ahead. Take time to printout or clip ads for items you are interested in buying to help outline yourshopping day in advance.
- Create a budget. Knowwhom you are buying gifts for and how much you are willing to spend. As you buygifts, keep track of the cost and avoid impulse purchases to preventover-spending.
- Research products. Just because anitem is in high-demand and being offered at a low price, doesn’t mean theproduct is worthwhile or right for you. Thoroughly research any product you’reinterested in purchasing to see how it is performing in the marketplace.
- Don’t be misled by tricky advertisements. Read the fine printon all advertised sales to make sure you are truly saving money, and bring thead with you. Watch for discrepancies in advertised prices and the prices on theshelf. Verify the real price before checking out.
- Ask about return policies. Many stores have a30-day return policy, but it is important to read the terms and conditionsassociated with each purchase. And remember that the refund policy usuallyapplies to the day you purchase the item not when you give the item as a gift.
- Thinktwice about store credit cards. Some retailers willoffer additional savings to incentivize consumers to sign up for their creditcard. However, these cards often times carry high interest rates or annualfees. If you do not plan on shopping at a particular retailer very often, thecredit card might not be financially beneficial for you.